Top 5 Favorite Chapter Headings

"Top 5 Wednesday" is a weekly meme created by Lainey at GingerReadsLainey on Youtube and hosted by Goodreads hosts Lainey and Mindy. You can find the goodreads group here.

For this week's topic (favorite chapter headings), I am going to show you some of my favorite different types of chapter headings (because oh my goodness there are so many) through specific favorite titles of mine (minus the one I haven't read) . . . let's start with the one book that I have not read.

Fun Graphics


It just makes everything more fun to have a cute graphic surrounding the title. I specifically love the one on the chapter headings for Libba Bray's The Diviners because look at it. It's very New York-y and very 20's. Which is good because that's the setting of the book.

Fun Font + Something Unique


Never will I ever pass up a chance to talk about All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven. First off, I love this font. It's the font on the cover, and it is my new (?) favorite. 

Finch has a problem. He falls Asleep for days at a time, so whenever the story switches to his perspective, we see how many days he has been Awake.

Violet's sister just died, and she cannot wait to get out of her hometown and go off to college, so whenever the story switches to Violet's perspective, we see Violet's countdown to graduation.

Before + After


I'm not good with timelines in books.

How many days has it been since this event happened? How long is the story arc? Normally I can't tell you.

With John Green's Looking for Alaska I can. Even though there are no specific "chapters" there are. The chapters are the days, which is nice that it is broken by days. Some days a lot happens, others nothing happens at all, but overall I really love this set-up.

Unique Chapter Titles


I couldn't not bring up PJO. I couldn't not.

While they do (in this case) tell the reader what is going to happen in the upcoming chapter, it definitely draws the reader in and encourages the reader to keep reading because . . . what do you mean you don't want to know how/why Percy vaporizes his pre-algebra teacher?

Important to the Story


Along the same lines as PJO, I adored the way that Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson was set up. If you don't know, in this story our main character's best friend goes missing. In her wake, she leaves a list of things for our main character to complete over the summer. So, the chapters are set up as which item our main character will complete that chapter.

Do you agree with my choices? What were some of your own? Is The Diviners as good as it is pretty? Tell me in the comments below!

Tomes Project

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment